After a long time I am in a mood to write today. There is a lot that I want
to say and there is a lot that I want to share. This will be the first of the
many posts to come. Forgive me if it gets a bit preachy in between. Just pamper
me for a while and try to focus on what I want to say rather than how I am
saying that.
It's election time and I see heated debates going on everywhere about every topic under the sky; but mostly about polity. There was a time when the allure of a good debate was something that I could never resist. Whatever be the topic, whoever may be the opponent; I had to jump in, and I had to win, and mostly I used to win. But then suddenly; I stopped debating. What happened??
Maturity Happened. I grew up, I matured. I learnt to discuss
I realized that….
In Debates; for every winner there has to be a loser; whereas in discussions everyone can be a winner
Debate can give only self-gratification whereas discussions can you self-satisfaction
And last but not the least; with debates, you can win over a person, whereas a healthy discussion can help you win the person over. Same language but world of difference.
So my friends; before you jump into the debate bandwagon; think twice. For I am here to discuss, not debate…
It's election time and I see heated debates going on everywhere about every topic under the sky; but mostly about polity. There was a time when the allure of a good debate was something that I could never resist. Whatever be the topic, whoever may be the opponent; I had to jump in, and I had to win, and mostly I used to win. But then suddenly; I stopped debating. What happened??
Maturity Happened. I grew up, I matured. I learnt to discuss
I realized that….
In Debates; for every winner there has to be a loser; whereas in discussions everyone can be a winner
Debate can give only self-gratification whereas discussions can you self-satisfaction
And last but not the least; with debates, you can win over a person, whereas a healthy discussion can help you win the person over. Same language but world of difference.
So my friends; before you jump into the debate bandwagon; think twice. For I am here to discuss, not debate…
2 comments:
If there are winners there will be losers. And if there is a debate there will be a conclusion the sane and sanity might not prevail, but neither will lie. :)
I believe one should debate only in three cases
1. You are a public figure and your followers look to you for vindication.
2. You are debating with a person with great spiritual and intellectual depth who puts reason above all. Debating with that kind of person can be enriching as both sides will be always ready to accept the outcome and correct ones mistake
3. You are drunk and want to enjoy a lively evening :)
Post a Comment