Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Just finished reading a novel named Jiwan Trishna(in Assamese; my mother tongue) by my dad. It is based on the life and times of Vincent Van Gogh; one of the greatest artist of all time.
This can be a great reference point for anybody interested in Van Gogh.
Diti (as I call my dad) had earlier written another novel named Sunali Deha (Golden Bodies). This again was based on another great artist of a real fascinating character Paul Gauguin. That novel was simply great (well I can't stop you from thinking that I am saying this because he is my dad; but my opinion stands). The second one is good but I did not find that as interesting as the first one. May be that have to do something with the diverse personalities of both the friends (yes; both Gauguin and Van Gogh were contemporaries). Van Gogh’s paintings explode in riotous colors; but his life was not that colorful (I mean by artist’s standards). Whereas Gauguin can come out of any Hollywood flick…
I am including a few paintings of both the artists. The ones I like the best

No comments: